Your Guide To Red Hot Canada (Pucker Up to 150!)
Image cred: Carlyle Routh
This July 1st Canada is going OFF to celebrate its 150th birthday. Canadians are notoriously known for their fresh faces and laid back style so whether you're celebrating on a deck or a dock, there is nothing that says PARTY like a good (clean) red lip. To help pull your look together we have rounded up our favourite 'Canada red' patriotic lippies. We've also found some fun ways to continue the red vibe with some easy and delicious recipes. Happy 150, Canada!
1. Watermelon & Jicama Salad with Jalapeño and Lime : Super easy to prepare and super refreshing on a warm day! Perfect for a potluck or BBQ.
2. Ultimate Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie: Skip the store bought desert and WOW with this homemade masterpiece.
3. Strawberry and Cream Popsicles: Because they are so pretty and only have three ingredients! You will find these on our deck and dock.
PS- You can find the stainless steel popsicle makers here
4. Strawberries 'n Maple Whip Cream: Yes, this is an oldie but a tried and true goodie. Local berries, fresh whipped cream and a splash of the Canadian "good stuff" makes this the simplest treat that everyone will eat. Recipe below.
5. Wild Blueberry & Mint Highball: Dubbed a 'summer breeze in a glass', this is 1 of 16 must try cocktails for Canada Day.
Strawberries'n Maple Whip Cream
- 1 quart fresh, local organic strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp good quality Canadian maple syrup
- Mint (optional)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (optional)
In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in maple syrup. Re-whip cream to stiffen if needed. *This can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to a day.
Place strawberries in serving bowls or glasses and top with whipped cream. Garnish with fresh lemon zest and/or mint sprig.